Monday, April 02, 2007

The Fast and Furious

That's our team name.

Where to start? I'm not sure, as I'm still on a little bit of a high from the whole event. This is definitely going to be a stream of consciousness post.

It was nuts. I'm still sore and it is Wednesday. Here's the setup:

- 12 person team (6 women, 6 men)
- 188 miles from Wickenburg to Scottsdale
- Two cars, six people in each car
- The first six runners are in the first car and once they finish running, they go somewhere and take a break for 4 or 5 hours while the next car with the next six runners does their thing. Repeat 3 times for a total of 36 legs that were between 3 and 8 miles.

My first leg was around 3:30pm. It was 6 miles, with the first 3 being a gradual uphill. I was too anxious and tight the whole time being amped up for the race, but I did decently and averaged 6:51 miles.

After our team finished the first six legs, we went to a high school, which was where the next major exchange was and ate and relaxed. I paid $5 to take a cold shower and use a wrestling mat to lie down on. Cold shower. Not happy. Oh, did I tell you that my main source of food was Diet Dr. Pepper and Ruffles Masterpiece BBQ chips? I also ate some good salami and cheese.

My next leg was at 1:30am and was almost 7 miles along a gentle downhill the whole way. I felt great, especially because it was nice and cool and I averaged 6:33 miles. I was pretty impressed with myself until I stopped and felt my hamstrings tighten up immediately. They are still tight by the way. I felt even less impressed with myself when a guy came in about 5 minutes after me having averaged 5:42 miles. Wow, that's smokin'.

After we finished our second leg, we went to a member of our team's house and relaxed. Notice, no sleep. We layed down and relaxed. No shower this time.

My last leg was at 8:30am. It is considered the hardest leg out of the 36 legs of the entire race. Only 5.5 miles, but the first 3 are uphill and the last 1/3 of a mile there was a 300 foot elevation gain. It was brutal. Hot and no sleep made me completely exhausted. It was out in the middle of the desert, which was pretty, but i was totally dead. I ended up averaging 8:00 miles.

I was just glad to run as early as I did. It was only in the high 70s when I ran. The rest of my teammates had to run in temperatures that reached 93. Ouch and ouch.

One of my favorite legs that I didn't run was Richard's second leg. Dirt roads at midnight through what appeared to be a very posh neighborhood. I'm sure all of the people loved hearing the roar of the Escalade as it powered over some of those hills. The funny part is that might be the first time that that particular Escalade has ever been on dirt. I think I also enjoyed it because Richard has some power and overtook some people as we went through some slow rollers (hills).

Overall, it was totally fun. I ended up riding the bike with Julie Ann, Lisa, and Melanie while they ran, which was nice and relaxing. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Everyone did great. Out of 73 total teams, we finished 27th. In our division (Mixed), we finished 9th out of 31, averaging 8:32 miles.

Here's a link to some pics. Unfortunately Richard, our fearless team captain, was also our photographer, which means there are not any pics of him, primarily because I'm a slacker. Actually, his leg was right before mine and because I was busy skipping, warming up, and getting myself psyched to kick some butt, I forgot all about pics. Such is the mindset of the insane runner.

The moral of the story is that running two times within an 8 hour period, including the middle of the night, just isn't that tough. Running 3 times in a 16 hour period, with only about 90 minutes of quasi-sleep is very difficult. The clincher is that there really isn't a good way to train for that.

Next year, we will decorate our vehicles and maybe even have a more clever team name. Any theme ideas?

Oh, I forgot to tell you, my middle leg is the hardest. And, "Who's that coming down our chute? It's Amy! It's Amy!"

Thank you to our volunteers mom, Erin, and Kevin, as well as to Chris and Anne for seting up our living quarters.

1 comment:

It's Not Your Fault! said...

That did sound like a lot of fun. I'm glad you have motivation for next time and the event was surrounded by so many you know.

Next time bring your photographer... she will capture the event like few can!