Thursday, May 24, 2007

Wanted: New Lungs

Today is Day 4 of my 20 week training program in preparation for the St. George Marathon and today I really began to realize what a fight it is going to be to run a sub-3. Today was my first tempo run in a long time. 8 mile run. 2 mile warm-up, 5 miles at 10k pace, and 1 mile cooldown. Well, my 10k pace should be around 6:15 - 6:20. However, today, it was 7:00.

My lungs are completely out of shape. This is what happens when you haven't trained specific to your capabilities, but rather to someone else's capabilities. Your lungs go to pot. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the social aspects of running here. It's really the first time that I have found a large group of people to run with. The problem is that they run hills and when we do run the flats, I'm typically holding back. I'll still run with the group, but I will likely only do it on short recovery runs when I'm just looking to get mileage. Good thing I have 19 weeks and 3 days to move the needle.

No comments: