Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I Don't Have Leprosy

It turns out that the city was looking for a water main near the South Ferry. The surveyors missed their target by oh, 15 feet or so and instead of locating the water main they were looking for, they drilled right into the 4/5 subway tunnel. Why am I telling you this? Because I am two stops up from where they were drilling and had to wait 30 minutes for the debris to be cleaned up so a train could get through.

This is what it looked like when the first train finally appeared. As you can tell, there's no way I'm getting on that train. I couldn't even get to the platform. There were lines outside of the gates. All during rush hour. Yep, the city and the MTA have got it going on. (Notice that I'm no longer capitalizing 'city'. It's pissed me off too much lately for me to take pride in it.)

Wait, it gets better. You might be asking why I did not walk to another subway line. Well, it was 15 degrees, the wind was blowing at roughly 30mph, and it was snowing/sleeting. To top things off, it was 40 degrees in the morning and I was wearing my spring coat and hadn't brought my earmuffs. I would have waited in that station all night.

I've noticed that I do a lot of complaining on this little blog of mine. Apologies. It's just this damn winter. Will it ever end?? I can't wait to go to Florida next week. My pasty white skin might blind a few Floridians, but then again, most Floridians are from the NE and are used to pale, ghostly people.

On the bright side, I've run the past two days. A slow six on Monday and a fast seven yesterday. And my leg hasn't fallen off yet. The hamstring twinges once in a while, but I've passed the wake up in the morning and get out of bed without falling down test. Dr. Silverman and Bextra get an A+ in my book.

No comments: