Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Squeezer

I wish I could have gotten a better angle at this shot, but the subway was shoulder to shoulder and I didn't want to make it too obvious.

The bottom line is that this older Eastern European man is the Master Squeezer. He took one look at how crowded the subway was and made his way towards two teenage boys, whose shoulders you can see. At the time, these two kids were talking to each other and there might have been three inches of space between them. The old guy turns around and butt first, just squeezed between them. The kids gave him looks that I wish I had on film. In response, he just put his head down and ignored them. Another NY subway moment.

2 comments:

Wheels said...

Two young kids did nothing? Wow, I must be reckless as this has happened to me, albeit on the LIRR and not the infamous NYC Subway system. (Probably wise to just get up and let it go. Certainly not sit there and allow some ignoramus the satisfaction of putting on the squeeze.)

In my example, the person was not going to fit without impacting me, and they never sat down. 350 pounds on a 5'5" frame or not, I stated in a loud and aggressive tone - "the hell you are sitting here! What is wrong with you?"

Now if that had been my ripped match in size and weight, I may have thought otherwise, but in this example my presence was enough to keep me comfortable and not squeezed! Trust me, if I said nothing I may not be here to tell the tale. It was an act of survival - right or wrong!! Ask me to give up my seat, no problem, but to just "squeeze" your way in, I do not think so!

deleted said...

I live in suburbia, and I find this entry strangely fascinating.