I wrote Senator Kyl twice over the past several weeks (along with Senator McCain and Congressman Jeff Flake). Today I received a reply from him that I'm sure several thousand other Arizonans received as well. The gist of it was:
- Our economy is in shambles
- We had to do something
- We talked to a lot of smart people
- We abandoned our free market principles
- This is the best we could do in the short term
- Let's cross our fingers and hope it works
Today's meltdown indicates to me that not enough of us were crossing our fingers.